Sunday, October 19, 2008

A great day in the garden.........

Considering its heading towards the end of October, the weather here in Southern Ontario has been superb these past couple of weeks. Granted the morning's are nippy and we have had a bit of frost, but as soon as the sun starts shining it warms up beautifully. We have such a lot of large windows in the back of the house, that it warms the house up, and as yet we don't have the heating on in the house. Which I have to say is unusual for us. Not sure how long this lovely weather will last, so I decided today (Saturday) was as good a day as any to tidy up the garden for winter.

I donned a pair of carpi's, a t-shirt and set to work. I was sweating while cutting the grass as it was so warm in the sun. I then tackled the veggies garden and dug up all the carrots. This is how many carrots I dug up:




Here are some of the butternut squash, I still have a couple of them left in the garden as they haven't ripened yet:



Here is my veggie garden all cleaned up for winter. I left the parsley and chives in, plus a strawberry plant. It's amazing how much my 4 feet by 8 feet plot produced this year.



I then tackled my garden by the back fence and got all that sorted out. Have to say was pretty surprised to find that we weren't overrun with thistles, they were still there, but not as much as they were in the Summer. I have some spring bulbs to go in, but I think its a little warm yet for those.



So all I have left to do is general maintenance and hopefully I only have to cut the grass one more time. Roll on the end of April, when it all starts over again!!!

8 comments:

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

Imagine that you thoroughly enjoyed all that work in the autumn sunshine Gill. Your veggies look great too.

We have been having some lovely days here as well, far better than the summer weather. Hope it lasts a while longer.

A

Angry In Oman said...

Gill, nice carrots!

Lucky you! I wish I could have a garden here.

Lib said...

Hi Gill,
Isn't it amazing the different taste of homegrow carrots, and store boughten?
Sounds like your a busy bee!
Hope you have a great day!
Blessins',Lib

Janet said...

It sounds like you had a busy day, well done with your carrot crop. Amazingly we are still getting tomatoes and bell peppers from our garden. But we do have some fall veggies in now, cabbage, cauli, brussels and winter onions.

2sweetnsaxy said...

Nice haul. I've always wanted to try some veggies but I got turned off in my yard when I found so many grubs under the grass I never bothers to plant anything there with them that I would be eating later.
:-D

cheshire wife said...

Sounds like you enjoyed your day in the garden which looks very nice and tidy. When it looks so good it makes all the effort worth while.

stitchersanon said...

I am really impressed with your squash...ours were rubbish this year, it was just too wet and most rotted as soon as they began to fruit. Do you let yours climbe or just 'wander'??
lol
Gaynor

Cherie said...

What an awesome bounty you had! It is a bittersweet time of year.

{{{SIGH}}}

Tuesday was a mixed bag type of day. Had the appliance repair guy come again to install another circuit board in the fridge.  When hubby got...