Saturday, March 21, 2009

More on moving house.......

Well lets see what's happening on the moving house situation. I picked up around 40 boxes Friday morning from the grocery store that they had saved for me. So I think we are all set with those. I can't believe people go out and buy boxes to move with. Mind you we did buy a couple of closet boxes a few years ago and we have used them again and again, as have other people. We are getting more closet boxes from the moving company that they are lending us for when we move.

I have got a few boxes packed, and have them stacked in the dining room. Have to say it looks a bit strange with no pictures on the walls. It makes them look very bare. Most of my ornaments are packed as well, so at least there is not as much to dust now!!!

We are still struggling with the insurance issue and we have got various quotes and I think we have finally got it narrowed down. It has been a draining time though, as each phone call to the insurance company can last an hour, and each person you talk to has something different to say. Plus we keep getting conflicting information from each company. They are quoting between $400,00 to $549,00 to rebuild the house, that is a wide range of pricing don't you think? As I said before I think we have decided on the company and will call them next week to finalize it.

We have an appointment with the bank to sign all the paperwork next week, so that's a good job done. All the utilities have been notified and told when to do the last readings. I have set up an account with the new hydro company. Although everything is set up for the phone, Internet and satellite, all the appointments are still screwed up and I can't sort them out until the second week of April.

Have an appointment set up for the middle of May to see about getting an alarm system installed in the new house.

I have to start on the change of address for all the magazines, credit cards, and other things. Have to go to the post office and do a change of address with them, I think that's $200 for the year.

One thing for sure it's all money, money, money at the moment.

I am plowing through the pantry and trying to use up bits and bobs, which is proving to be interesting. I got a few instant pudding mixes given so we are eating those with the canned pears for dessert every night!!! I am now down to 13 jars of canned pears!!

As I am packing I am putting things aside I don't want, as we are planning on having a garage sale the week before we move. If we can make a few dollars that would be great, however yard sales don't normally start to around May around here, so fingers crossed April 25th will be a dry fine day!!

9 comments:

stitchersanon said...

The worst part about moving is the ruddy beaurocracy.
waste of life....it hate it...
glad I wont ever be moving again...and at least it is all nearly done.

How exciting lol!

Winifred said...

My you're very well organise Gill.

I've never seen a yard sale. I like the idea of it. Do you just set up in the garden? People here seem to go for car boot sales, I've never been to one but I'm assured you can get some bargains.

Rudee said...

I feel your pain Gill. It's so hard to pack things up. Watch out for the memories-sometimes, they nip you from behind when you least expect them. I'm trying very hard to think of it all as a big adventure.

Margaret's Ramblings said...

Are you moving yourself Gill or do you have a moving company to do all the lifting etc. At least you have a few weeks to get everything packed. A harrowing time so make sure you have time to rest. I will be thinking of you.

Margaret

ChaChaneen said...

You have to pay the Post Office to do the change of address? Never heard of that before, at least not in the US. Wow, you are certainly busy right now, take care my friend!

Jo, a retired teacher said...

My goodness, Gill, you have a lot of work ahead of you. I just caught up on several days of posts and it made me tired just to read about. Find time to have a nap.

Scrappy quilter said...

In a few short months it's all going to be over. Remember to take some quiet time just for you, otherwise it can become truly overwhelming. I wish I lived closer, I'd drop in and help you pack.

Patty said...

Hope your garage sale turns out great and you make lots of bucks. Also hope you have someplace that will pick up what you don't sale if you don't want to move it. I would dread to even have to think about moving. Way too much we have accumulated over the years. Also hope you have been marking your boxes with what you are packing in them. Good luck with it all.

Kim said...

Gil when we moved about little over a year and half ago - the forwarding at the post office for a year only cost $68, so unless it has gone up drastically, you have over estimated a bit.

Also, you can do it online, and save yourself the trip.

https://ssl.postescanada-canadapost.ca/tools/mmm/ssl/bin/GettingStarted.asp?lang=en&leid=le09000702

{{{SIGH}}}

Tuesday was a mixed bag type of day. Had the appliance repair guy come again to install another circuit board in the fridge.  When hubby got...