Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Monday at the Acreage, including a couple of photos............

I did squat all on Monday, it was so cold and wet it felt like March or April, not June 1st. I had to put the heating on later in the afternoon as it was so cold. What's the weather like where you live, as it feels as though it has been wet and cold forever here in Southern Ontario. I don't remember ever having to put the heating on in June.

I had to go and fill the gas tanks up for the lawn mowers. We have two a 10 litre tank and a 25 litre tank. Gas was up to 99.9 cents per litre, I was shocked, and due to it being that expensive and I put 20 litres of gas in my car, the bill came to $55, thank goodness I don't go very far. How expensive is gas/petrol where you live? If it continues to be this price, I can see me not cutting Kamikaze Hill and the field that often to try and save costs.

The roofing guys turned up today, but then it started to rain, so they got very little done and so they are now coming back on Wednesday. A bit of good news and a bit of bad news from them. The good news, is the flashing they were going to put between the house and the extension roof, well there is no need now, as the way the roof was installed they did it another way. The bad news, we will have to re-shingle the roof in 8 - 10 years, as the shingles/roof tiles they put on were "organic" ones (???) and have proven to be not as long/hard wearing.

Not sure if anyone will find this interesting, but this is a photo of the type of fence we have on the north, south and part of the west side of the property. It's pretty common up here. The rest of the fencing is your normal wire fencing.



Now we took down this light fixture in the family room and replaced it with a light/fan. I just wanted to show the before and after of the light, as you can see how dirty it was. It's actually a very well made light fixture, probably circa 1974 (?), the top is brass, and we have decided to hang it in the front hall.
Before:

After:

I'll take a photo of it when dh gets it installed.

13 comments:

Lindsay said...

We have a lot of the same type of wooden fencing in our area along with Cotswold stone walls. Sorry about your weather - we are having a hot spell - up to 80F.

Rinkly Rimes said...

You asked about other temperatures. Here, in NSW, it's 17 which is quite chilly for us. Tonight I have to go to the Cathedral for a practice. I'll wrap up!

softinthehead said...

Hi Gill, yes gas is up to 99c in south Southern Ontario too:) You must have gone quite a way north because we have had some hot days here in the Golden Triangle, not loads but I have a bit of a tan so we have seen sunshine. Friday and Saturday were pretty nice - what I have noticed is that we are having a very windy spring. Love seeing all the photos - keep them coming.

Anonymous said...

It's sizzling here in France, 27 degrees,

GG

Ruth's Place said...

My goodness what a huge difference after you washed the light fixture!

I loved seeing pictures of your fence.

It was 12 degrees here this morning, but it is winter...

DeniseinVA said...

Hope your weather clears up soon. After quite a lot of rain we are now having some dry days and they say the heat and humidity is going to be back in full force. That fencing is very popular down here too, especially around Manassas Battlefield.

ChaChaneen said...

I love your property, very beautiful. Well here in California the price in my area is $2.78 a gallon.

Scrappy quilter said...

it's cold here and yesterday was very windy. Lots of wind damaged done in Winnipeg. We aren't going much over +20C. It's unreal.

Our gas is 1 cent lower than yours right now.

That light is amazing!!

Stephanie D said...

My gosh, did that woman never clean anything? The before and after pictures you post are always so amazing!

Love that fence. So pastoral.

Gas here is at $2.45/gallon--up about 50 cents in the last 6 weeks.

Gill - That British Woman said...

thanks for all your comments, and no that woman didn't clean a thing......

Gill

Unknown said...

We've been having cooler than normal weather here in Eastern Ontario as well. Most mornings it's cold enough that you have to wear a coat. Today it's supposed to go up to 17.

Our gas prices are currently around 93 cents.

Jo, a retired teacher said...

Goodness, your cleaning photos have been really amazing. Those folks must not have ever cleaned anything.

It's a bit cooler today at my house. It probably won't make it much past 94 degrees (34 for the rest of the world).

Winifred said...

Our weather is cold here in the North East of England, about 11 degrees C. Just got back from Greece after two weeks holiday so I'm frezing. Guess what? Everyone says it was red hot whilst we were away! I suppose that was the summer then.

Our petrol is always expensive. It got cheaper a while ago but it has crept back up while I've been on holiday. Back up to 99.9p a litre. I think that's almost twice your price.

Good job done with the light fitting. I'm enjoying catching up with your adventures now I'm back.

{{{SIGH}}}

Tuesday was a mixed bag type of day. Had the appliance repair guy come again to install another circuit board in the fridge.  When hubby got...