Thursday, July 2, 2009

Icky, yucky, gross.......and do you drink tap water?

and that was only some of the words I used, when I got up this morning and looked in the cupboard under the sink, and saw two dead mice in my traps. They are lying there on their backs with their heads in my traps. Nasty, nasty, nasty. Now I have to pluck up enough courage to remove them from the traps. I don't think they will be getting a burial, more like a hurling into the field behind us.

Now I have to say Gaynor did say there would be more than one mouse in the house and unfortunately she was right....DRAT!! Also the country boys were right they love peanut butter.

I mentioned the other day I bought this book, "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" by Barbara Kingsolver. Well I haven't even got the first chapter read, and already it's making me think. One thing she was talking about was the tap water in Arizona. They were told it was okay to drink, but don't put it in an aquarium because it would kill the fish! I hate to say it, but in Brampton where we lived in Southern Ontario, when we had a fish tank we were told in no uncertain terms not to change the tank water on a Wednesday as that was when "they" pumped all the chemicals in the water to make it "safe" for us to drink. It wasn't good for the fish and could kill them if we did it on a Wednesday.

Makes you think doesn't it? It also poses the question, do you drink your tap water? We do as we get it from a well. HOWEVER, for us to drink a straight cold glass of water, we get it via the fridge where it is filtered before we drink it. We have one of those fridges, with an ice and water dispenser on it. I don't drink bottled water very often as I find it has a funny taste, and all those plastic bottles are not good for the environment.

UPDATE!!!

I PUT ON MY PINK MARIGOLDS (RUBBER GLOVES) AND MY FLORAL WELLIES AND HELD THE TRAPS AT ARM'S LENGTH, WHILE THE BUG EYED MICE WERE LOOKING AT ME (THEY WERE DEAD) AND THEN PUT THEM INTO THE FIELD, MORE LIKE HURLED THEM INTO THE FIELD. I HAVE NOW WASHED THE TRAPS AND WILL SET THEM AGAIN FOR TOMORROW...... I AM A BRAVE LITTLE SOLDIER AREN'T I ;0)

11 comments:

Erin said...

so happy to hear you have eradicated two of the mice ^..^
we don't drink the tap water...we purchase spring water for coffee and cooking and also use the filtered water from the refrigerator. and, our new kitten is a spring water baby, no tap water for her either. a vet told us 17 years ago to use bottled water/spring water for the kitty ^..^
have a wonderful weekend.

Cathi said...

Drink tap water?? No! Once we get past 3 or 4 days of a heatwave, teh water that comes out of the taps here has a nasty smell. The city keeps saying there's nothing wrong with it but I couldn't drink that stuff on a bet! We use spring water for almost everything.

Scrappy quilter said...

Good for you on getting rid of 2 pests!! We drink our tap water although it does make me stop and think everytime I smell the chlorine in it. I don't like using bottled water because of all the plastic and not all bottled water is tested. It's tough to know what is right.

stitchersanon said...

I do drink tap water...but living here in the Irish countryside it is as clean as it is gonna get.
You will toughen up re; mice and things and this time next year it will be as normal as pie.
Your flies are probably the result of a dead mouse somewhere and should go once mouse has decomposed. Just keep setting those traps. Another option is to put poison under your floorboards. The mice crawl away to die so should not make the fly problem any worse lol.

grendelskin said...

Wow, brave you! I make my spouse empty the traps, I hate their little pop-eyes goggling at me.

I do drink my water but mine comes from a well. We use a filtered pitcher like you do, but I don't hesitate to drink it straight from the tap. When we rented, I never drank the water - it smelled terrible and tasted worse.

Decadent Housewife said...

Filtered or distilled. Tap tastes funny and got tired of finding out there was a boil water two days after the fact.

Winifred said...

Yes I drink tap water. I often filter it but it's OK if it isn't filtered.

I stopped buying bottled water as all those bottles are lethal for the environment.

What a pity that the cat option wasn't a viable one. My cats disposed of any unwanted visitors.

Cyn said...

You are amazingly brave indeed! My DD spilled some dry dog food in my garage and didn't clean it up and soon after we had some little visitors! Yucko... I think they are all gone now. *fingers crossed*... I wasn't able to deal with the traps or bodies. I don't know how you mustered up the moxy to do it.
/;-)

mommanator said...

I drink my tapwater and enjoy it, it sure is better than that cholrinized stuff. I have even been known to put it in a used water bottle. My water comes from an aquifer-down deep!

Evelyn said...

we have excellent tap water, too frugal to buy water or filter it. as for mice, I throw them out traps and all, at 3 for a dollar i am not messing with cleaning them. evelyn

Patty said...

Now that's just the reason our daughter bought her traps from the Dollar stores, she pitched the whole thing into the field. She wasn't about to try to remove the dead bodies. LOL Plus she figured another mouse might be able to smell the dead mouse from the trap and avoid it.

We also filter our water, but we have one of those pitchers we run it through and keep t chilled in the frig.

{{{SIGH}}}

Tuesday was a mixed bag type of day. Had the appliance repair guy come again to install another circuit board in the fridge.  When hubby got...