Sunday, September 27, 2009

Great Northern Exhibition..

So on Saturday afternoon we went to the Great Northern Exhibition which is a fall fair. We have never been before and we had a good time.



I particularly wanted to go as the ladies knitting group I joined had entered a few things and I wanted to see how well they did. They are had a few placings in the second place and one lady had a first with a needle pointed bell pull, it was lovely. The quilts were stunning and I took a few photos.


This first photo features on the left the best in show. This is the first time this woman has entered a quilt in the show and she was stunned to win; I was standing next to her as she was telling another woman this!! You may have to click on the photo to enlarge it to see more detail. She is a beautiful hand quilter, her stitches were so even. The one on the right won as well and the detail on that quilt was also stunning.


Here are some more of the quilts that I liked:






I was very inspired by this and many other classes, so I am hoping to enter some items for next year's show. The photography section was good, and I am sure I have a couple of photos I could have entered.

We stood and watched pairs of horses pulling concrete blocks as part of a competition. Would you believe this beautiful pair of horses pulled 8,000 lbs for fifteen feet and won the competition. Its the first time I have seen this.

(if you click on this photo to enlarge it, you will see more detail)


I have some more photos, that I will post another day. We watched the fiddlers and step dancers for a while, it seems to be a big thing in the country? It was an enjoyable afternoon out and I am so glad we went and the rain held off until we got home!!

4 comments:

MyBulletinBoard said...

That last quilt with the blues and greens is gorgeous!

Liz in Texas

Scrappy quilter said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful time. Those quilts are stunning!!

Cherie said...

Beautiful! I love quilts! Maybe someday I will try it! Perhaps as soon as I master mittens and slippers!

The Witch said...

Gill, thanks for visiting my site. I really enjoy your blog, I've just been shy in leaving messages.

Those quilts are beautiful. I have actually started the fall leaves one and have half the blocks done but they're packed away for now until I have more time to spend on it. I found that for my first quilting project that applique was too time consuming and I'm now looking for a wall hanging to do that involves using the sewing machine more.

I have a beautiful star pattern quilt which I bought with my first paycheck over 35 years ago and we still have it on our bed.

{{{SIGH}}}

Tuesday was a mixed bag type of day. Had the appliance repair guy come again to install another circuit board in the fridge.  When hubby got...