Tuesday, November 30, 2010

If you are on a diet I would skip this post........

as it may cause you to break your diet!!  I signed up for the Food Networks "12 Day's of Cookies" newsletter, and on Monday my first recipe arrived; Paula Dean's Chocolate Gooey Butter Cookies.  For those of you who are not familiar with Paula Dean she doesn't believe in anything low fat!!  She reminds me of Clarissa Dickson Wright  and Jennifer Paterson, better known as The Two Fat Ladies they also believed in using full fat butter, milk, cream etc, etc.



When I saw the recipe, I knew I had all the ingredients on hand, so figured why not try it.  It is so simple it's crazy, but there are a couple of things you should know.  You MUST let the dough chill, as it is sticky otherwise.  I let my dough chill for three hours and by the time I had finished making the dough into balls, my hands were a gooey mess.  For those of you who are not in the States, 1 stick of butter = 4 oz, or quarter of a 1lb block.  It does make life a lot easier if your cream cheese and butter is at room temperature.  Cream cheese should be on sale with the run up to Christmas, so this is a good recipe to stock up the cream cheese for along with my Pumpkin Cupcakes.


I found rolling the dough in icing sugar was less messy if you used a couple of spoons to do it.  It mixes up no problem in the Kitchen Aid mixer, and the raw dough is pretty good!!  I have an Orange flavoured cake mix, so am wondering if that would also be yummy? 

They are good when still warm.......ask me how I know!!  I am adding this to "this recipe is a keeper file," when I set one up!!

The bread bun header is an old photo.  I use my bread maker to make them. This recipe is similar to the one I use.

17 comments:

Tracey said...

YUM! I'm all for a fat ladies kind of reciipe! xxx

JohnD said...

Yummo! Add this one to your recipe book!

INGREDIENTS
Qtr cup of cooking choc chips, rolled and crushed into small pieces
Mixed unsalted cooked nuts – halved macadamias, slivered almonds, pine nuts, etc
250 g butter, softened
3 Qtr cup of caster sugar
Half teaspoon of vanilla essence
2 ¼ cups of self raising flour
Milk for glazing

METHOD
Using hands, knead the butter, flour, sugar, crushed choc chips and vanilla essence in a bowl until combined and smooth.

Roll into smooth walnut-sized balls and place on some sprayed baking paper on a tray, leaving plenty of room for the biscuit mixture to expand as it cooks.

Flatten the top of each ball with a fork, criss-crossing it until about half a centimetre thick.

Decorate as desired with slivered almonds, macadamias and pine nuts, pushing those slightly into the surface of the biscuit mix.

Brush the surface of the cookies with milk and then place the try in a pre-heated oven at 180C for 15-20 minutes.

When the top of the nuts begin to brown the cookies are cooked.

Remove tray and set aside to cool.

Repeat process until all the biscuit mix is used up. When tray has cooled, remove the cookies to a wire rack to cool some more and then store in an airtight container.

Valerie said...

Gosh, they look delicious. I'm not on a diet but hubby has to be careful so I tend not eat full fat foods. I enjoyed looking at your pictures though, it was a feast for my eyes.

willow and moo said...

Oh those cookies look so delicious!

I loved watching Clarissa Dickson Wright cook.

MyBulletinBoard said...

I WAS on a diet!!! After all, it's almost the New Year, the right time for a diet.

My mouth is watering. The rolls are beautiful, TOO.

Liz, where the birdbath is frozen over

Lorac said...

I will be giving these a try!Good thing I haven't started my diet yet!

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

It all looks delicious Gill. I used to have a breadmaker and loved using it but it gave up a few years ago and I haven't bothered to replace it. A

Kim said...

I used to love watching the Two Fat ladies!

Did you receive an email for the December blog book review? I got mine yesterday and chose the Christmas one.

Lakeland Jo said...

yum for bread rolls and cookies

Karine said...

Just as simple to make as my chocolate chip cookies! They sound good, I may give them a try :o)

Scrappy quilter said...

Yummie!! Can I come to your house? Hugs

Jim said...

OMG! Those look so good.....and easy too? Will have to try.
Jim

Rose said...

Those look so yummy and I haven't even looked at the recipe...lots of time the recipe makes them sound even better than the photo.

Stephanie said...

I noticed that too! but if you go to the Angel tree page she is up to 145.00 And was bumped up to the next level. I don't know what's up with that 60.00 page. My only complaint with RR is that the updating is very inconsistent.

Thanks for everything and please keep sweet Olga in your prayers.

Iris said...

I love Paula Dean, used to watch her cooking show. Her every other sentence was: Now let's add a stick o'butta and a tub of cream cheese! I have gained a few pounds - thanks to her!

Rose said...

I just thought to check out that recipe and it sounds absolutely delicious...hopefully I will think to pick up the ingredients. It is one I really want to try.

Rose said...

They are delicious!!!!!

{{{SIGH}}}

Tuesday was a mixed bag type of day. Had the appliance repair guy come again to install another circuit board in the fridge.  When hubby got...