Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Book Review and a neat photo.........

Promises to Keep - Ann Tatlock


Eleven-year-old Roz (Rosalind) Anthony and her family have just moved to Mills River, Illinois, to escape an abusive situation. Only days after settling into their new home, they are surprised to find the previous owner, Tillie Monroe, on their front porch reading the newspaper. Though her sons have sold the house and sent her to a facility for the aged, she is determined to die in the place she lived her life and somehow manages to find her way "home" day after day. Feeling sympathy for the elderly woman, Roz's mother allows Tillie to move back in.


Mara Nightingale becomes Roz's first friend in Mills River. In spite of their many differences, the girls discover they have something in common that binds them together--both are hiding secrets. So they make a promise--cross my heart and hope to die"--never to tell anyone else.

When danger stalks the Anthonys, Tillie exhibits unimaginable courage and selfless love in her determination to protect the family she has adopted as her own.

I loved this book, the story was so easy to relate too and to immerse yourself into.  I wanted to turn the page just to see what was going to happen next.  For anyone who has ever been an 11 year old girl you can so relate to what Roz and Mara feel.  Their total innocence in believing the best in people despite what other people tell you.

I didn't know what was going to happen to the very end; you had an idea but what did happen was still a bit of a surprise.  I have never read any of Ann Tatlock's books before, but I am now a huge fan she is a super writer.  I would really recommend you buying this book or requesting it from your local library as it is a winner.

Stars out of 5: 5 I just loved this book...........

"Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc.  Available at your favourite bookseller from Bethany House, a division of Baker Publishing Group".
Where I work is very close to the Toronto airport.  The planes take off and land over the shop area.  When we first moved there I used to duck when the airplanes came over now I never here them.  It's funny now to watch customers duck if they are new to the place.  By the way you only really hear them when the big doors are open in the warehouse in the Summer or if you are standing outside.  Anyhow Alan took this photo of a KLM 747 coming in to land on Monday.  I never saw it as I think he said it came into land just after I left.
It's neat how close they come isn't it, and you can see the landing wheels already down ready to land.  Thank you Alan for letting me use your photo.

It's a snow day for me today so no work.......we are in for a big dumping of snow, so I get the day off from work to snow plow the driveway...............not sure which I would prefer to do?????    Only another 47 days until Spring.............

5 comments:

MyBulletinBoard said...

As long as you are in for a big snow dumping, I'll do what I can to send you our sub-zeros and single digits. You might as well have it all. ~Liz

Jane and Chris said...

Can't see out of the windows. I'm dreading trying to snow blow in this wind.
Jane x

Scrappy quilter said...

I'm still waiting for my books. Will be sending another cold snap your way and then warm temps. It's been crazy this year with the ups and downs. We haven't had snow for a couple of days. However they are predicting freezing rain and the roads are already covered with ice. What a winter we've both had. Hugs

Kim said...

Did you end up getting as much snow as they reported? I know we didn't. Although all the school busses are cancelled, so DS is home, but it doesn't look like more than 3 inches total - just lots of blowing snow.

Karine said...

My aunt lives close to the airport too, she's in Mississauga and when we go for a dip in her hot tub out back we have to stop talking when the planes fly over!

{{{SIGH}}}

Tuesday was a mixed bag type of day. Had the appliance repair guy come again to install another circuit board in the fridge.  When hubby got...