Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Another book review and a busy day

"Stars Collide" by Janice Thompson







"Kat Jennings and Scott Murphy don't just play two people who are secretly in love on a television sitcom--they are actually head over heels for each other in real life. When the lines between reality and TV land blur, they hope they can keep their relationship under wraps. But when Kat's grandmother, an eccentric star from Hollywood's golden age, mistakes their on-screen wedding proposal for the real deal, things begin to spiral out of control. Will their secret be front-page news in the tabloids? And can their budding romance survive the onslaught of paparazzi, wedding preparations, and misinformed family members?


From the soundstage to a Beverly Hills mansion to the gleaming Pacific Ocean, Stars Collide takes you on a roller-coaster tour of Hollywood, packing both comedic punch and tender emotion."


This is a really good book, as it points out all to clearly that even Hollywood stars are human.  Also it touches on the issue of Dementia in older people; and that aspect of the story is dealt with really well in my opinion.


There were a couple of twists in this book that even I didn't guess and I loved them.  It also gave you an insight into Hollywood back in the golden years and now.  I loved the way the Grandmother was able to remember all the old movies and how the granddaughter made a game out of remembering them also.  This was a book that was a light and easy read and it made you smile. 


Stars out of 5: I would say at least a 4.5 and would recommend it.  It is one of those books to sit and read while you are on vacation or have a couple of days of doing nothing.


"Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc.  Available at your favourite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group".

On Monday I started to stain the banisters.  It is a pig of a job as it is so fiddly.  I only got half of it done, and that took me three hours.  I plan on getting the rest of it stained today and then I'll make a start on the varnishing.  The only problem is that it is so cold, that we can't really have the windows open and the smell is quite strong.

I can't wait to show you all when it's all finished as it's really nice.  I had a guy come over on Monday to give me a price on carpeting the attic, and he was admiring the new banisters as well.  I can finally see light at the end of the tunnel regarding this attic.  We hope to have it completely finished by the end of April.  Wish both me and dh luck with that goal.......

6 comments:

Scrappy quilter said...

I just started reading that book. I got mine yesterday. Hugs

Kim said...

Wow you have been busy reading - I got 3 books this month but am only about a chapter into this book so far.

I have a spa day planned tomorrow - facial, full hair color, partial highlights, wash cut & style, scalp massage and mini makeup application - I got a great Wagjag deal - $75 for all that!

So I will be at the salon for at least 4 hours tomorrow, Hope to make it through at least one of the books :)

fizzycat said...

Looks a good read. Will look out for it in the library.

fizzycat said...

Looks a good read, will look out for it in the library.

Kim said...

RE: the nightstand - I did get a replacement on Friday - it too was damaged! Though not as bad - 4 dents. They are going to re-emburse me my money and let me keep them. Not a bad deal :) I'm even going to see if I can fix the 1st damaged one and let my son have it.

DeniseinVA said...

It must be lovely to see the end of your attic project. Looking forward to the photos. Sounds like a fun book too.

{{{SIGH}}}

Tuesday was a mixed bag type of day. Had the appliance repair guy come again to install another circuit board in the fridge.  When hubby got...