Thursday, June 2, 2011

Tomato Chick Pea Salad

I have been making this for years, I got the recipe in a grocery store when they were giving out samples and I was hooked.


Tomato Chick Pea Salad


1 can (19oz/540ml) chick peas (garbanzos), drained and rinsed
1 cup chopped fresh parsley
4 tomatoes, cut into large dice
1 cup chopped cucumber
6 green/salad onions sliced
2 cups cubed Swiss Cheese, I used Cheddar


Dressing:
 1/3 cup olive oil
3 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 large clove garlic, crushed
1 tsp dried tarragon leaves
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
pinch cayenne pepper


Salad:
In a large bowl, combine chick peas, parsley, tomatoes, cucumber, onions and cheese.


Dressing: Whisk together all the dressing ingredients and toss over salad.  Cover and refrigerate for several hours.


Makes 6 to 8 large servings.

I didn't have parsley or the tarragon or the cayenne pepper, but it still tasted good.  For those of you who don't eat cheese it still good without the cheese.

I had to pop into town on Wednesday as I had a couple of errands to run, including filling the propane tank for the BBQ.  How much does it cost to fill your propane tank where you live for the BBQ.  They charged me $20, I remember when it only cost $10 to fill it.  I plan on using our BBQ more this year to try and keep the house cooler, rather than heating it up when cooking.

On Tuesday it was super hot and humid, but we managed to not put the a/c on.  Glad I didn't as on Wednesday there was no humidity and a gale force wind.  It was that windy that I thought my washing would blow away.  It was as fast to dry it outside as it would have been to put in the dryer.

I finally got my tomatoes and peppers planted.  Had to put a temporary fence around that garden to keep Molly out!  Also managed to clean out two more flower gardens.  Still have three more to do, oh and of course cut more grass.  I am back doing the field again; it's so bloody long again I have to have the blades up as high as I can.  My goal is to have it done by the end of Friday.

I am hoping to spend Thursday morning, planting my potatoes, onions and cabbages.  I am late this year, but this is my first opportunity to get it done.  Mind you it will all depend on how my back holds up as to how much I get done.  I don't know about you, but I could do with another 24 hours in the day at the moment!!!

One day I will get caught up with all your blogs.  I am still having problems with Blogger and leaving comments when there is a word verification.

Enjoy your Thursday.

4 comments:

Valerie said...

Yet another busy day for you. I've made a note of the salad dressing, everything else in your recipe is available. I grow certain herbs in my laundry room - a good light and fresh air in there.

I don't have trouble with word verification, it's the comment boxes that demand Google profile that defeats me.

Jane and Chris said...

Chick peas are my favourite bean, you'll find them in most of my salads!
Lots of branches down from yesterday...and it's really chilly today!
Jane x

angela said...

sounds delish, will try it out next summer. I love chick peas but I dont know about everyone else.

Rose said...

Another recipe that sounds delicious...I am no longer sure what it costs to fill up a propane tank. We usually take ours and swap for a full one at Walmart. I know it is not cheap.

There is definitely times that drying clothes is much quicker than using the dryer.

{{{SIGH}}}

Tuesday was a mixed bag type of day. Had the appliance repair guy come again to install another circuit board in the fridge.  When hubby got...