Friday, October 28, 2011

All about houses.........

At first glance I would love this week's home of the week  However the second photo put me off, as I am not sure how far that block of flats is from the house.   If I am paying over 9 million dollars for a house I wouldn't want people be looking into the backyard and house?   The 15th photo of the upstairs hallway shows a gorgeous area.  I love the railing and the fancy skylight.  The rest of the interior is just okay.  I suspect that master bedroom suite will be the size of the whole of our downstairs in our house!!!


This week Toronto Life also featured a 1.8 million downtown condo.  Now I will say it's not my cup of tea at all, sorry.  It feels very cold and masculine to me, especially the bathrooms.  One thing I do love though is the terrace and the view.  Mind you when it's minus goodness knows what outside, what use is that terrace!!!  If I were young and single and obviously had lots of money, then maybe this would be for me.....

I got an interesting email from Natural Home and Garden about living well in less than 1000 square feet.  If you click on this link it will lead you to the story and also lead you to more interesting links, like this one.    I found this quote interesting in the article:

"In 1950 the average American home size was 983 square feet; by 2009 the average home was 2,343 square feet—even as family size shrank."

It makes you ask why do we need larger and larger houses with more and more conveniences in it?  I always think of the television series The Waltons, where they had 11 family members living in that house with one bathroom.  That is unheard of nowadays.

4 comments:

Boyett-Brinkley said...

I grew up in a house that was about 950 square feet -- there were only three of us so it was more than ok. It was a very well built house and is still standing with a family in it. The Hubs and I bought a book a number of years ago called, I think, The Small House Book and we have sort of been going by it all these years. We don't live in a 900 square foot house now but we don't live in a 3000 square foot mcmansion either! I wouldn't want more to vacuum than I have here but I think it would be wonderful to have a basement!

Karine said...

I love that house! I wouldn't worry about those apartments at all, they're pretty far back from what I can see the yard is full of trees, so no one can see in. As for living well in less than 1000 sq. ft, I've been doing it for three years now and I have no problems at all...except that my current apartment does have a lack of storage, so I'm forever clearing out stuff that I don't need to make more space!

Megan said...

I totally agree - I hate when you spend millions on a house and then you end up all on display for the neighbors. Dreadful is what it is!

EG CameraGirl said...

You are asking a question I have asked many times - why DO we need so much space? To impress our friends and neighbours, I fear. I've heard small condos are becoming the fashion in larger cities. Many of these gargantuan homes may be difficult to sell.

{{{SIGH}}}

Tuesday was a mixed bag type of day. Had the appliance repair guy come again to install another circuit board in the fridge.  When hubby got...