Saturday, December 10, 2011

Grocery shopping, coupons and deals.........



I do feel for my poor dh, as yet again had to take me grocery shopping today as I still can't drive.  Of course I didn't want to go to just the one store, I had to go to numerous stores and when I told dh that, he was ever so pleased!!!  Bless him though he didn't complain, but he personally couldn't see the point of shopping at various stores.

Our first port of call was the dreaded Wal-Mart, where they had turkey's on for 95 cents per pound.  Dh picked up a one that is at least 16lbs as it was $15.32, also picked up a couple of other things and my total came to $16.79.  Paid that with the money I had saved up in my pot and used a $1.00 off coupon for one of the items.

We then headed to Shopper's Drug Mart where they has a 20 x the points event when you spent $75.  One of the best things you can do is use all your high value coupons at the 20 x the points events, as the total is before coupons.  I had three $15 off coupons for vitamins and a $2 and a $1 coupon.  So the total of my bill before coupons was $84.36 - $48 in coupons = $36.36  I am also mailing in my receipt for a $4.79 mail in rebate on the Quantum Finish Dishwasher Cleaner  I may be giving that as a joke Christmas gift to our son-in-law.  I of course purchased a $50 SDM gift card before buying anything, so I could get another 500 points, and altogether earned another 15,500 points today.

We then popped into to Zehrs and spent another $16.79 there, and they had 10 lb bags of potatoes on for $1.77 a bag.  Everything else we purchased had 50% off so saved another $12.13 there, plus will be giving my receipt to the church as always.

We finally popped into Sobeys and I spent $16.78 there, my main purchase there was Lean Ground Beef  that was on sale, for $1.79 a pound, so picked up nearly 5lbs of that, and I saw sausage meat for my stuffing.  I didn't use any coupons there, but have accumulated enough points to cash in for $10 off my next bill if I want.  I am going to keep on collecting them and cash in at a later date, for more info on those click on this link.

By the way if you have a Food Basics near you, they have turkeys on sale for 77 cents a lb.  I neither have a Food Basics close to me, nor do I get a flyer, so I can't price match either.

So all in all I spent $86.01 buying groceries and personal items and cleaning products this week.  I had coupons and stickered savings of $61.13 and will be receiving a cheque for $4.79 from the mail in rebate.  The envelope I am mailing my MIR in was free, ask you local greeting card shop if they have any spare envelopes they don't want, and they'll probably give you a bunch.  The stamp I will be using I bought them when they were 10% off, so saved money there also.

So as far a the Christmas Day lunch is concerned the only thing I need to get now is some white bread for the bread sauce and a loaf of white or brown bread for the stuffing.  I still have $56 in my pot that I had saved up for the groceries, so all in all things are looking good.

Starting January 1st I am going to keep a running total of what I spend each week and what savings I have.  I am hoping to spend only $75 a week.  I want to be more organized with my menu planning as well.  In fact I basically want to be more organized period in every aspect of my life...........

17 comments:

EG CameraGirl said...

You are an inspiration, Gill. I will have to follow your grocery shopping more closely to pick up some pointers. I am quite the novice compared to you!

Karine said...

More organized? Gosh, I already find you super organized! My grocery shopping saving rules: make as much stuff as I can myself in the slow cooker and with ingredients I already have in the house and just shop at Metro as they have a points program.

Boyett-Brinkley said...

You did very well on your shopping. I think I am going to do the same starting in January -- I tend to not pay as much attention to my spending/saving on groceries as I should -- that might make a good weekly post!

~Carla~ said...

You are a super shopper!! Thanks for the heads up about the turkeys at Food Basics! I'm going to see if I can get there ths week... :)

Sue said...

Great job!

Sue said...

Great job!

Daxingcujo said...

sounds great Gill...So good to hear surgery went well and hope the healing is quick too! You can check online flyers for food basics? dunno if that would help you price check...best wishes from mine to yours..ps the wedding and all looked wondeful bless ya's!

Rose said...

I wish I was half as organized as you...that is all I am saying. I would be so much better off.

Angela said...

You do seem to have more coupons and mail-in offers over there than we do. But I did manage to get almost 30% off Bob's suit with careful management of M&S points and vouchers. And I saved 20% on my Sainsburys bill this week. Hope hand is getting better as it should! love x

Shammickite said...

ugh... bread sauce... I could never stand the taste or the texture

Anonymous said...

nice post! thank you so much for sharing... happy holidays...loves soraya

Piece by Piece said...

Wow!! you saved a lot this week.
I have joined some of the coupon web sites that you had on a previous blog and now receiving coupons.
All the money I save is going into a sealed pot which will be opened next year Dec 1st. I can't believe how fast the odd bits are adding up.
I want to be more organised in 2012.
Patricia

The Witch said...

Gill,
I was just getting tired listening to all the stores you did visit. Your hubby is a dear for sure. I think you are very organized but it never hurts to plan ahead. Michael's craft store have weekly planners with a side bar for grocery shopping which have magnets on the back. I find them perfect for the fridge and I do all my meal planning this way. They are only about $1.50 and come in a assortment of different printed backgrounds. I'm actually giving a few away as stocking stuffer's.

Stella Jones said...

Don't forget the cost of the petrol going from shop to shop!
Your list sounds interesting and delicious in parts.

simplicityinthemaking said...

Well done. Bet hubby liked the savings!

DeniseinVA said...

Looks like you had a successful day shopping Gill. Hope that hand feels a lot better now.

Cindy@NorthofWiarton said...

I am certain I spent more on baking supplies for Christmas baking then what you spent all day on your purchases. Good job ! The problem I have is I need to make a shop to Owen Sound worth the gas to drive there for any savings .... such is life in the boonies.

{{{SIGH}}}

Tuesday was a mixed bag type of day. Had the appliance repair guy come again to install another circuit board in the fridge.  When hubby got...