Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Christmas Cards and a book review......

***THE HEADER PHOTO IS THE BRIDESMAIDS BOUQUETS***

I had a funny sort of day on Monday.  One where it set off looking as though I wasn't going to achieve much.  However it all turned around and I got all sorts done including sorting out my Christmas cards.  I have a folder on Excel, where I list who we received Christmas cards from.  I also note if we got photos, letters or a note written in the card.  Must say only two people sent letters this year.  I am beginning to think Christmas cards will be things of the past very shortly.  I did a post way back when about recycling Christmas cards, here

Do you do anything with your Christmas cards?

"The Rose of Winslow Street," by Elizabeth Camden


In the small town of Colden, Massachusetts, Libby Sawyer leads a quiet, predictable life. Yet beneath the surface, she is haunted by a secret.


Newly arrived on American shores, Michael Dobrescu is far from predictable, and his arrival in Colden is anything but quiet. Michael's shocking claim to be the rightful owner of Libby's father's house immediately alienates him from the appalled citizens of Colden.

Despite her own outrage, Libby is unwittingly fascinated by this enigmatic man who seems equally intrigued by her. As the court's decision about the house looms and the layers of mystery surrounding Michael's past are unveiled, Libby's loyalties are tested in ways she never imagined.


Must say I wasn't too sure when I started this book, however by the second chapter, I was sucked right in.  Loved the main character Libby and you can't help but love the description of Michael, a typical hero in a romance novel!!!

There is enough mystery and intrigue that keeps you wanting to read what happens next.  I didn't guess the mystery of the house and thought the story was going one way, but then it veered off into another direction.  That made the story even more interesting to my mind.

Stars out of 5 : 4.5  The start was a little weak, but once the story got going it hooked you.  One that is definitely worth the read.


"Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc.


Available at your favourite bookseller from Bethany House, a division of Baker Publishing Group".

11 comments:

Cindy@NorthofWiarton said...

I just discarded of my Christmas Cards yesterday, Gill. It will be a shame the day Christmas cards aren't at least sent and received by post. I love this part about Christmas on receiving a card from Family or Friend .... we need to get back to more of a "personal" touch in our lives, I believe.

Kaisievic said...

I am afraid that I don't really do anything with my Christmas cards.
Thanks for the book review.

Hugs, Kaye xoxox

Valerie said...

I'll look out for that book. Weak starts often put me off but if I find it I'll resolve to persevere.

Boyett-Brinkley said...

My Christmas cards are still sitting in a neat stack on the counter. We are getting fewer and fewer each year and mostly just from relatives.I like to keep some of them for genealogical sake and mostly they go to the recycling bin. The book looks good and the header photo is gorgeous -- love the bouquets!

Fee/ Somerset said...

Love the bouquets Gill, talented daughter. Yes our cards get fewer each year, but then I send fewer, mainly to family and to people I feel we know otherwise it can get mad. My 83 yr old mum gets hundreds from 'friends' but then sees almost no one day to day!

Fee.

Rose said...

Sounds like a good book...I don't do anything with my Christmas cards....though I always save a few just cause they are so pretty...I need to use them for gift tags....that is a good idea.

Karine said...

I love getting Christmas cards and kalways keep, but have never sent any. I don't have a stamp budget :oJ

EG CameraGirl said...

I agree that Christmas cards are going the way of the dodo bird. I have resolved to send one handwritten letter a week to see what happens. I sent one last week but it's Tuesday already and I haven't written this week's letter yet...but I have decided who I'm sending it to. That's a start. :)

Scrappy quilter said...

I'm just reading this now and loving it. Hugs

peppylady (Dora) said...

I do get and send out card.
After the holidays I do pick two to keep and recycle the rest of them
But the letters I do keep.

Coffee is on.

Unknown said...

I'm afraid I'm one of the offenders that have become a 'scrooge' with christmas cards. I've cut down sending as many as I used to ...I found too many were only sending a card and you don't hear from them the rest of the year. Postage has become too expensive now too and I prefer to keep in touch, personally with a phone call.Maa

{{{SIGH}}}

Tuesday was a mixed bag type of day. Had the appliance repair guy come again to install another circuit board in the fridge.  When hubby got...