Monday, January 16, 2012

A Must Read Book and a recipe

"The Emancipation of Robert Sadler," by Rober Sadler with Marie Chapian
So many thoughts twirl in my head...I want to think back as far as I can remember--think on things I had long ago buried and let stay buried. There were things I never told anyone. Now is the time to tell it, though. Help me remember it, Lord, so I can tell it just the way it was.


Over fifty years after the Emancipation Proclamation, Robert Sadler was sold into slavery at the age of five--by his own father. Originally published in 1975, this is the no-holds-barred tale of those dark days, his quest for freedom, and the determination to serve others borne out of his experience. You won't forget this poignant true story of good triumphing over evil, of God's grace, and of an extraordinary life of ministry.


This is one book I would say you must read as it is a true eye opener.  For a start who in their right mind sells their children into slavery in 1916 for $85?  What sort of Father does that?  Who treats their slaves as though they are animals by mistreating them?  This true story will make you shake your head with astonishment time after time, after time.


The book is split into three parts.  Part one is about when Robert and his two sisters were sold into slavery to a plantation owner and what happens during that time.  Part two is when Robert leaves/escapes the plantation and makes his way in the world.  Part three is when Robert decides to devote his life to preaching about God and ministering to the less fortunate.


Part's one and two were really interesting and thought provoking.  Part three though I found hard to believe.  Not that I am saying Robert wasn't telling the truth, I just found some of the things a bit far fetched for me.


I found the cruelty of the plantation owners and the southern white people portrayed in this book just awful.  This is so foreign to me as we were brought up to treat people of other nationalities and colours equally.  I am not that naive to realize that racism and prejudices still occur throughout the world, this book made me think about it more.


Stars out of 5: 5 A must read, and I think it should be on the curriculum in high schools as it is such a powerful and thought provoking book.  If you don't read any other book this year, please try and read this, it really is worth while.


"Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc.



Available at your favourite bookseller from Bethany House, a division of Baker Publishing Group".

Made a tuna braid the other day.

The ingredients are:

2 cans tuna
small onion, chopped,
cup shredded/grated cheese
salt and pepper
squeeze of lemon juice
pastry - I used a package of puff pastry

Mix together tuna, onion, cheese salt, pepper and lemon juice in a bowl - I didn't have lemon juice this time.

Roll out pastry into a 16 inch by 10 inch rectangle, all sizes approximate.  You could use regular short crust pastry.  When you have rolled out the pastry slice the side of the pastry as in the photo below.
Put the tuna mixture down the middle of the pastry and braid the pastry over the top.

Glaze the top with milk or egg and put into a 450 oF oven for around 25 minutes.

Serve hot or cold.  We had ours with garden salad and baked potatoes.

***LIKE A LOT OF PEOPLE I AM STRUGGLING TO LEAVE COMMENTS ON A LOT OF PEOPLES BLOGS AT THE MOMENT***

10 comments:

beagleAnnie said...

Thank you for sharing another interesting book. I added this to my list, although I'm still reading the same book as last year.

Cindy@NorthofWiarton said...

Good way to start using up the tuna in my cupboards, however Rob isn't too fond of tuna, so maybe it could be hid much better in a Tuna Casserole.

Debby said...

I will add this book to my must read list. Slavery is such a sad part of our past in the US however coming from the south there were Many slave owners who treated their people with kindness, there is no doubt however that their were those who were evil!! Good luck in your No/Low spending this week!!

~Carla~ said...

I have that book to read as well... I think it's going to be very sad... :(

Your braid looks delicious!! Yum!

Scrappy quilter said...

I totally agree on the book. I started it last night and WOW!! Hugs

Piece by Piece said...

The book sounds interesting. The library in our city has recently had a make over. Some books were moved to a vacant store in our Mall and others were in storage, while the work was being done. It's now finished and currently the books are being put on the shelves, can't wait until it is finished. Haven't read a book for a month.
Your tuna braid looks yummy, going to make one this week but halve the receipe.
Patricia

DeniseinVA said...

It sounds like a very powerful book and I thank you also for the recipe.

To answer your question about the bird at my feeder, the one on the right is a male House Finch.

Jenn Jilks said...

I must read it!
Looks good! Never heard of it!
Cheers from Cottage Country!

Rose said...

The book sounds like something I would love...I am continually amazed at how cruel people have been and continue to be to each other.

Joolz said...

I've never heard of a tuna braid before. It looks so good (I love tuna). Thanks, I will be trying this in the future, Gil.

Joolz

{{{SIGH}}}

Tuesday was a mixed bag type of day. Had the appliance repair guy come again to install another circuit board in the fridge.  When hubby got...