Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Pizzas and a book review....

Must say the pizza's were good and a nice change from the usual pizzas that you buy.  Next time I will make my own pizza dough.  I had the pizza shells in the freezer and they wanted using up.


"The Keeper," by Suzanne Woods Fisher

Life on Windmill Farm hasn't been the same since Julia Lapp's father has had trouble with his heart. But that doesn't stop Julia from hoping for a bright future. She has planned on marrying Paul Fisher since she was a girl. Now twenty-one, she looks forward to their wedding with giddy anticipation. But when Paul tells her he wants to postpone the wedding--again--she is determined to change his mind. She knows who is to blame for Paul's sudden reluctance to wed: the Bee Man.


Roman Troyer, the Bee Man, travels through the Amish communities of Ohio and Pennsylvania with his hives full of bees, renting them out to farmers in need of pollinators. A mysterious man who relishes his nomadic life, Roman especially enjoys bringing his bees to Stoney Ridge each year. But with Julia seriously at odds with him, Windmill Farm is looking decidedly less appealing.


Can Julia secure the future she's always dreamed of? Or does God have something else in mind?

The title of the book says it all, it's a "keeper."  This book will have you both hooked and charmed right away.  The character's are so believable and each one is as special as the other.  The two main characters in this book Julia and Rome are just perfect; and the way the author describes them makes them even more believable.

This story is not as straight forward as it seems with a few twists and turns even I didn't anticipate.  However it both made me laugh and cry.  It is the first book in a series with the second one coming out in August of 2012.  I will say though this book closed off in a way that I wasn't annoyed with, you know what is going to happen next.  I have been disappointed by a number of books recently where you had no idea what was going to happen next to the main characters, in this one you do.

Stars out of 5: 10..okay I know I can't give 10, so a very resounding 5  This book had everything in it, romance, sadness, interesting facts about bee keeping, the Amish way of life and more of it to come in the other books of the series.  One I would highly recommend you either buy or borrow from your local library.



"Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc.


Available at your favourite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group".

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

We love homemade pizza..I make bread dough in bread machine and after the rise take it out and divide into 2 pieces and use each piece on pizza pans and top with things you love...MMMM..now I'm hungry for pizza and out of yeast:(
~~peace & love & joy & blessings~~

Valerie said...

Interesting. Another one to add to my list of must-reads.

Cindy@NorthofWiarton said...

I must try to remember the title of this book for a later date, Gill. I just got a call from the library telling the copy of "The Help" is in for me to pick up; shall try to get myself in there today to pick it up. The pizzas look oh so good .... yummy for breakfast, lol, as I love cold pizza !

DeniseinVA said...

Your pizza's looked delicious and that was a good book review. Thanks! I've just picked up a copy of Distant Hours by Kate Morton. I haven't read any of her books before but it looks like a very interesting read.

Nancy said...

Beatiful header, yummy-looking pizza and great book review, Gil! Happy Wednesday! :)

simplicityinthemaking said...

I love homemade pizza's too. Yours look wonderful. I can't get into these Amish books, perhaps because I lived an Older Order of Mennonite in my younth. The stories are just that, total fiction leaving out all the hard work.

beagleAnnie said...

Thank you for your information, Gill. I remember the title to read sometime in the future.

Jane and Chris said...

I've always made my own pizza dough.
An elderly friend stayed in a posh hotel and told them that their pizza wasn't as good as mine...bless her!
Jane x

~Carla~ said...

I really enjoyed this book too, was super sweet!! :)

Rose said...

This sounds really interesting...will see if I can get it from the library in kindle form...or even in real book form if I could get it from the little library here in town. I always enjoy your book reviews.

CannedAm said...

Gil, I just got my own stand mixer (years I waited, years!) in December and made my first pizza dough last week. It was fabulous. We had a favourite pizza back in Ohio that we replicated. Ranch dressing (we use the no fat, doesn't make a difference in flavour when it's cooked...just doesn't add fat to the total) for the sauce and the toppings are sweet onion, tomato, bacon, chicken breast and cheddar cheese. Though I mix cheddar and mozzarella to make it a big lighter. Oh, it's soo good! Give it a shot some time if you've got leftover chicken to use. (Yours looks yummy!!!)

Scrappy quilter said...

I agree 100%. She is an amazing author!!!

{{{SIGH}}}

Tuesday was a mixed bag type of day. Had the appliance repair guy come again to install another circuit board in the fridge.  When hubby got...