Monday, September 24, 2012

I need your help....

Does anyone know this maker's mark:


It says, ICH DIEN Bird Eye W.A.X.S

However I am not 100% sure about the X, as it could be crossed swords?  Also on the feather to the right it has an embossed flower on it.

Here is another look at the footed bowl/dish.
As you can see it's quite old with a lot of wear.  However it's really pretty.
I would like to know the pattern and how old it is.

Now I know the maker of this piece, Royal Albert, "Top O' The Hill."  Just want to know if it should have a lid with it.
Again it's had a bit of use, and some of the gold finish has worn away.

To my mind I would date this piece around the 60's, possibly into the 70's?  Any thoughts?
At a local charity shop they have items in the two windows that go up for auction.  You write your bid in the book and one week it's one window; the next the other window.  The store finds it can make more money on it's better items that way.  I put a bid in for $20 for these two items and mine was the winning bid.

Next week's window had nothing in that I liked, but they were setting up the other window when I picked up these items so didn't see everything they had in it, but there were a couple pieces of furniture I think we may bid for.

I published another book review yesterday if you want to check it out here.

16 comments:

JohnD said...

The three feathers in a crown and the legend "Ich Dien" (I serve) is the crest of the Prince of Wales and I would venture that you have 'birds eye' Staffordshire tableware.

landcuckoo said...

Can't give you any info but I do like the one with the trees, really different.
Sarah x

Unknown said...

Well, that isn't a pair of crossed swords, but an ampersand, "&". So it would be "W. A. and S.", and I believe would make it William Adams and Sons. It looks to be from the mid to late 1800's. It is a very lovely piece of Ironstone pottery. :)

As for the other piece, it's actually from the 1950's. If you go to this website, they might be able to give you more information:
http://royalalbertpatterns.com/Tea%20Sets/Tea%20Sets%20T.htm

Good luck!

Dc said...

They are the Prince of Wales' feathers and Ich Dein means I serve. These feathers also indicate Wales and are often used on Welsh Regiment badges. Don't know about the last bit.

Rose said...

I don't really know anything about these items, but I like them!

Cindy@NorthofWiarton said...

Our local thrift shop also has silent auctions where I have too made a few purchases by bid.

Jane and Chris said...

I like the bowl with the trees!!
Jane x

Buttons Thoughts said...

Oh I have no idea but I am glad you have smart commentors. They are beautiful though. B

Angela said...

Elizabeth Moss is dead right - that mark is W A & S - I agree it is William Adams china
check out here
http://www.thepotteries.org/mark/a/adams.html

hope you find out some more soon!
blessings x

Anonymous said...

Coming from Wales I regognised the first piccie of the three feathers but see John has already helped you there.LOVE the trees one,would be nice at christmas...What a bargain too :) Xxxx

Evelyn said...

I think the royal Albert dates from 1891 (when china required countries names to added) until 1914 when "made in England" was used

Evelyn said...

and thanks John for answering, do you collect too?

EG CameraGirl said...

I know very little about old pottery but I DO love that piece with the trees. It's a stunner.

DeniseinVA said...

Lovely pieces, I don't know much about this either but I have read all the comments with great interest.

JohnD said...

I missed the 'ampersand' and Yes! The initials are for William Adams and Son - silly of me to miss that!

Evelyn - No! not really! I have a few good bone china pieces - a dessert serving bowl and a set of sweet dishes, a few plates. I collect coins and stamps but I like to keep an eye on antiques in general.

Unknown said...

I love bowls too, Gill. Can't get enough of them although now I do try to control myself. Great idea about the bidding. Sue

{{{SIGH}}}

Tuesday was a mixed bag type of day. Had the appliance repair guy come again to install another circuit board in the fridge.  When hubby got...