Sunday, November 25, 2012

Another treasure and quilt blocks...

On Saturday we went up to the charity shop as I had put bids in on a couple of items.  A very funky chair in a gold/yellow/floral print and a side table.

I wish I had taken my camera as the chair went for $377.  It was so NOT worth that amount.  When they lifted it out of the window, folk in the store said they heard all the springs rattling around in it.  I was however lucky to "win" the side table with my bid of $45.  Look at the legs:
It has seem a lot of life and has a lot of scratches on it but I will put something on the top to cover it.
I wanted it to put it in the living room to put my Denby Encore Sweet Pea lamp on.  We haven't touched the living room yet, renovation wise.
I bought the burgundy chair at the same store the other week and here is where she sits.  All the woodwork is original to the house.
I did a little sewing also on Saturday and did the next block for my block of the month club.  It is the bottom one in the photo.
The top one is called Ribbon Quilt.  The middle block is Electric Fan Variation.  The bottom block is Yankee Puzzle.  My points are not exact and I need to size all the blocks.  The store supplies the material for the block, but you do have to buy all the finishing pieces for the quilt.  I am not going to buy the pack as I am not too keen on it.

17 comments:

Cheapchick said...

Georgous table-love those legs

Scarlet said...

Love the side table. I have 2 very similar ones which I use as bedside tables.A coat of coloured wax polish would cover a lot of the scratches and make the wood gleam when buffed up. That chair was a mad price- and I bet it wasn't as nice as yours!

Cindy@NorthofWiarton said...

Love the little table you were able to get.

j udy said...

I love the lines of the table, what a wonderful bid/win! I wish I could quilt I can knit or crochet but quilting was a skill i never learned

Cathy said...

Hello Gill
It looks good and sturdy - what sort of wood is it? The shelf is great height for books or newspapers as well.
Take care
Cathy

Boyett-Brinkley said...

The table is lovely and definitely a good find! Your house is very nice, warm and welcoming. The Denby pattern is very pretty -- I have a Denby teapot (brought to me from the UK) but it is a solid, sage green. I have always been a fan of Denby but quite expensive here. Thanks for the posting the photos -- enjoyed them!

Debby said...

What a sweet little table. I love your quilt blocks, in no time at all you will have a great new quilt

The Witch said...

Gill,
Love the table and it does have beautiful legs. Suits the spot you put it in.
The quilting blocks are beautiful and what a great idea a block a month. I may look into something like this in the New Year. I need to create more time for myself and this may be the right craft for me.

Jane and Chris said...

Are the legs called 'barley twist'?
The table's not yours!!!
Jane x

Karine said...

I worked in a quilting shop once and they had me try my hand on it. It was the only time they did as I was so afraid of sticking myself with the needle that I couldn't sew a straight line! I do enjoy embroidery though, much less risk of sticking oneself that way :o)

Buttons Thoughts said...

Love that table and I would have loved to see that chair. The quilt is going to be great. B

bonsaimum said...

Love the table. We have a hall table and hat stand with those 'barley twist' legs.They will outlive us.

beagleAnnie said...

Hi Gill,
Nice finding and it looks like a perfect table for the lamp.

Anonymous said...

Love the quilt blocks! And your living room - doesn't look like it needs a reno at all to me - very cozy!

EG CameraGirl said...

The table looks great in the spot where you put it. Looks like you are doing a fine job on those quilt squares!

~Carla~ said...

Beautiful table! :) I love your blocks... The seams are perfect! You're very talented! :)

Rose said...

I like that little table...would love to know the history of it. You got a good deal on it, I think.

I like your quilt blocks...I will be watching for the rest of them.

{{{SIGH}}}

Tuesday was a mixed bag type of day. Had the appliance repair guy come again to install another circuit board in the fridge.  When hubby got...