Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Condo Board of Directors

We have moved into a house where there are condo fees.  It's a golf course community for "older people."  However in the part where we have moved on "the hill," there are a lot of younger people our age in their 50's and a lot of people are still working.  So the demographics of the estate as a whole are starting to change.  There are also a range of dwelling from apartments, to townhouses, to semi-detached homes and detached homes.  All are well built and all are privately owned.  Each "phase" has their own board of directors to help oversee their phases concerns and problems and to make sure people stick to the rules and regulations of the condo corporation.

So far so good.....

Now as we have never lived in a condo situation all this is new and foreign to us.  Plus remember we had very few neighbours and none at close quarters in our last house.  So to say this has been a learning experience wouldn't be a lie.  As with any estate/subdivison you have a wide range of people from all backgrounds and with different expectations of what should or shouldn't go on.

Despite the fact we are all adults, some days it does feel as though you are back in the school yard, with all the gossiping and sometime subtle bullying that goes on.  The rumor mill is rampid and it doesn't take you long to figure out who is who and what is what.

There has been an issue in our phase but due to the fact we don't have a board of directors, the situation hasn't been sorted out.  I am pleased to say it has NOTHING to do with me or dh, but I know all about it and refuse to be dragged into the situation.  

We will finally have our phase meeting on August 7th and we will be able to elect a board of directors as luckily more than 5 people have put their names forward.  Now one of those names in mine.  I know why on earth would I want to get involved.  It is however quite amusing how this has all come about, as there seem to be two different "camps" and I have been asked by both camps to put my name forward.

As I said to dh who knew I was so bloody popular!!  I guess they don't know me that well...yet!!  I warned both camps that I was worried that I wouldn't be able to keep my mouth shut and I would not be afraid to tell people what's what.  I personally have no time for personal agenda's, whining and people tittle-tattling, but they still wanted me to put my name forward.  So I thought what the hell, at least it won't be too stuffy on the board if I am elected.  Between me and you I would be very shocked if anyone voted for me......well other than dh...he had better vote for me.

So roll on August 7th, I can't wait to see what happens at this meeting.  Are any of you on a condo board?  Any tips or hints?  I am not fussed either way if I am elected or not, I just wanted to make sure the candidates HAD to give a speech telling us all why they want to be on the board.

10 comments:

T'Pol said...

Hi Gill,

That is one stressful job to take on. Good Luck!

Evelyn said...

You would be ideal in this role as you aren't afraid to speak up and tell it like it is and you won't suffer fools. Personally i hope you get elected as you would keep the board in line. I serve on boards and the best advice is to speak up and don't be afraid but don't talk for the sake of talking and know when to move an issue along, sometimes people can talk an issue to death and in circles.

Janet said...

Hi - I was on our Condo Board for 14 years before we moved. We were a self directed board so no management company involved and we did it all. Any big jobs like roof/windows, etc of course were contracted out. Like every job comes with the fun and the stresses. Best tip... get to know your by-laws and Condo act well (the rule book) !!

Anonymous said...

I hope you are elected, Gill, because you are a no-nonsense person and you would get things done!

Boyett-Brinkley said...

You were asked to run because you are new -- new blood so to speak. The same thing happened to us when we moved into our present home. My husband was on the board for two years and that was the end of it. Very stressful and we, too, live in a subdivision that has mostly older people and there are some disagreements. I avoid the whole thing as much as possible as I can't take stress very well. Good luck with it, though. You might really enjoy it. I know my neighbor does!

William Kendall said...

I think under the circumstances I'd be more inclined not to move into such developments, but that's just a personal choice.

Jane said...

I have lived in a condo for the past 20 years and know whereof you speak! People do tend to divide up into camps but the fact that BOTH camps want you to put your name forward says a lot about YOU. I bet you do get voted in and the board will be better off having you on it!! Good luck!

Rose said...

I wish you well in whatever you take on...I tend to think you will be voted in. Probably cause you haven't said much, both sides probably think you are on their side. But that being said, I think you are probably what is needed.

Terra said...

Well good for you for being a candidate. It sounds like there is a dispute going on, hope it won't be too stressful for you. The place you moved to sounds nice.

Winifred said...

My goodness living with politics. Sounds interesting.

When we first moved into our house in Washington (the UK one which was a New Town) we weren't allowed to have tv aerials as all houses had piped tv. Eventually they had to give in & allow them & also satellite dishes but they have to be at eaves level. However I'm not sure who enforces it or how but most people do stick to the rule.

{{{SIGH}}}

Tuesday was a mixed bag type of day. Had the appliance repair guy come again to install another circuit board in the fridge.  When hubby got...