Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Book Club and more about Spring?

I am a member of a book club called Book Ends.  We have 12 or 13 members all who live in our subdivision.  I have been a  member since July.  I have yet to go to a meeting where every member attends as like everyone we all have busy lives and especially during the winter people want to escape the weather.  In summer we also have members with cottages who also go away for the summer.  Overall though we are a great mix of ladies who have something in common, we all enjoy reading books.  

I am probably one of the weaker members as the majority of the books we read I would never ever have thought of picking up and reading, but this is what I love about the club it makes me read things I normally wouldn't have.  I have yet to see a book that we all agreed we loved, but again that's what makes this fun.

I thought I would list what we are going to read over the next few months, so if you want to join in feel free.  We meet the second Monday of every month, so if you want to post a review feel free to do it on my book review blog, where I post all my reviews. I usually read the month's book ahead of time and review it well before the meeting.

There is a link on my main page of my regular blog, or here is a link.

Just so you know if you click on the title of the book it will take you to Amazon where you can read more about the book.  All members take turns choosing a book.  I haven't chosen one yet, but I do have this one in mind as it sounds good for when it comes to my turn.

March: Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson - you can read my review here

April: The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd

May: Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See

June: The Rosie Project By Graeme Simsion

July: The Vagrants by Yiyun Li

I think we will choose the next few months worth of books around June.

In February 2015 the book was: Tomorrow Their Will Be Apricots by Jessica Soffer - I did not attend this meeting nor did I read the book for various reasons.  It got mixed reviews by the members.

January 2015: The Cellist of Sarajevo by Steven Galloway. You can read my review here.

December 2014: Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed. You can read my review here.

November 2014: The Storied Life of A.J. Firky by Gabrielle Zevin. You can read my review here.

October 2014: The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. You can read my review here.

September 2014: No Time For Goodbye by Linwood Barclay.  You can read my review here.

August 2014: A Complicated Kindness by Miriam Toews.  You can read my review here.

July 2014: The Chalk Girl by Carol O'Connell. You can read my review here.

I posted another book review yesterday here; this is for the regular books I review.

I know a lot of information to take in at once, but you know the post is here so you can come back to it again and again.

Okay when I watched this I wasn't overly happy.  By the way if you live in the Great Lakes area of the States, you will be no more happier than me either!!  I love an hour and a bit North, North West of Toronto.

I guess what this is telling us we need to be patient.  The better weather will come it's just delayed.

14 comments:

ChrisJ said...

I read The Rosie Project quite a few months ago. One of the ways I know if I liked the book or if it was well written is if I remember the plot. I read so many and they all seem to be pretty much the same, so if I remember them they must have something that made them stand out. I liked the character in this book who was somewhat socially inept. It was a very well drawn character.

Evelyn said...

Gill you got me reading a couple of series from your reccomendations. Tried the Chalk Girl, hated the main character. Tried Barclay and loved his books. Mixed reviews on the Book Thief, enjoyed it but didn't wow me.

EG CameraGirl said...

I like the variety of books your club reads. I enjoy book clubs because they do encourage members to read books they might not otherwise even look at.

Andi's English Attic said...

I joined a book club that was started by one of the mums at school. I think I managed three meetings before I realised I was the only one reading the books chosen and the meetings were really just an excuse for a school bitch-fest. I've just signed up to Book Bub https://www.bookbub.com/ebook-deals/recommended that will inform you of free or low priced books in the categories you select. (Amazon, Nook etc). Lists such as yours are also helpful and I will be investigating some of the ones you've included. Thank you.

Plowing Through Life (Martha) said...

Oh, good stuff! I'm an avid reader; always got my nose in a book. I've read some of the books you've listed; others I've never heard of. But I enjoy learning about new ones.

Jane and Chris said...

I'm not a fan of book clubs at all.There always seems to be one person whose opinion is the only one that matters.
Read the spring report this morning,noooooooooooooo!
Jane x

William Kendall said...

It looks like an eclectic reading list. I know I'll be happy to see spring stay away a few more weeks, but I'm in the minority.

Rose said...

I just checked out the Pettigrew one...just got to remember to download to my kindle. I had meant to get that when I finished the book I am reading, but I have about give up on the one I am currently reading. So may start it.

The one you are thinking about suggesting for your book group sounds interesting.

McVal said...

BRRR!!! Spring WILL come!

Wow you read a lot of books!!! I think the last thing I read was the nutritional chart on a the back of a can of carrots. I kid! It was Sonya's scifi book.

But I so rarely get time to read.
Someday!

Angela said...

Today near Toronto was 0 C and beautiful. I can't believe we are going to be -20 tomorrow

I have had enough

Country Gal said...

Funny thing is all the news channel weather gets it from the weather net work yet they are always different from them even their own weather network website is different from what they say on their TV station . I go with mother nature and what she tells me more over the weather people . I did belong to a book club but it got to the point that I did more photography and spending my time outdoors then reading books so I quit lol mind you I do like a good book I like Dean Koontz , Debbie Macomber and Fern Micheal's they are my favorite authors . Thanks for sharing , Have a good day !

Pom Pom said...

Oh, I LOVED reading about your book club! I am enjoying a great book club, too. We have a smaller little book club within our family that I enjoy so much as well!
I have read some of your book club books.
Oh, I am so sorry that the weather is still wintery. We woke up to snow again in Denver, too. Boo.
Great post, Gill!

Nora @ Teacup Tales said...

Great name for a book club. So clever! Much thanks for this handy list. I'll bring it to my book club's meeting in two weeks. I'm always interested in learning what other book clubs read. I've read three of the books mentioned on your list so far.
Hope your weather improves soon.
Nora

Linda said...

Gill, I echo EG CameraGirl's comment. Thank you so much for sharing.

{{{SIGH}}}

Tuesday was a mixed bag type of day. Had the appliance repair guy come again to install another circuit board in the fridge.  When hubby got...