Monday, April 25, 2016

Our Little Man........

Our Little Man, turned 19 months in April and he finally had his first hair cut.  He had to wear it in a "man bun," which although fashionable, made him look like a girl.  He now looks like a true boy, thank goodness.  I don't have a recent photo of him, but will post one next week when I see them.

He is the shy, quiet type of boy and although not talking much gets his point over.  Mind you with his sister, who is affectionately called, Miss Chatterbox," he probably can't get a word in anyway!!

I have been sewing up a storm and have made Our Little Man a couple of things which I am hoping he'll love.  He loves to empty the dishwasher, so made him a Minion apron using this pattern.

I bought the bias binding for this one.  This is the third one I have made; will share photos of the other two over the next few days.

He has a lot of those little cars and so I thought I would make him something to store them in.
I used this tutorial as a guideline and added my own touches to it. 
I made it the width of the coat hanger.  I bought .85 of a metre of a cotton twill fabric as it had a bit more substance to it.  DO NOT use a lighter weight fabric.  For the pockets I used a cotton fabric.  I wanted to have a car fabric, but made the mistake of using a cheaper cotton; suffice to say it looks like I couldn't cut the fabric straight. It was a miserable fabric to work with.

I cut four inch panels of the car fabric and turned under a 1/2 inch hem top and bottom.  The pockets are around 2 1/2 inches wide each, but in future I will make them some of them a bit bigger to hold larger cars.  Adapt the pattern to suit your needs.

If adding embellishment's to the top, add them before you sew it all up!!!  I didn't and suffered for it.  I have enough of the blue fabric left to make a narrower version of this, using a bra hanger...........however I will adapt this as I want to make something for a teenage girl.

I have to say I am very pleased with how his projects turned out.  I have another thing planned for him, but not sure when I will get it finished.  I find there are lots of things to make for little girls, not as many for boys.  What do you think?

5 comments:

Anne in the kitchen said...

Those are adorable!

mamasmercantile said...

Great gifts, made with love so I am sure they will be well received.

William Kendall said...

Good ideas- and I like the results!

Betsy said...

Both gifts are adorable and I'm sure will get lots of use. Would you believe I just watched the movie with the minions in it for the first time Saturday with our grandchildren. So cute. Love the car storage idea too.
Blessings,
Betsy

Jackie said...

Love these!! You did a great job on both those projects and I am looking forward to seeing the others you have completed or are going to complete.

God bless.

{{{SIGH}}}

Tuesday was a mixed bag type of day. Had the appliance repair guy come again to install another circuit board in the fridge.  When hubby got...