Friday, September 1, 2017

Oldies exercise class...........

I am having another quiet week with the walking.  Should get in 20 + miles no problem, but no where near as much as I was.  Need to get back into it.  My original goal was three miles per day and I do seem to be doing that so that is good.

There was only one exercise class on for the old folk this week on Tuesday.  This week she was working on our balance.  It seems some of us have great balance and some of us flounder around like a beached whale on sand........oh wait that was me😋  The steroid ladies were there doing all they could to get their gold stars, and a fine job they did...........

Now I would like to say this balance thing was a piece of cake but it wasn't.  We had to walk in a straight line backwards and forwards, heel to toe just like you do when the police stops you for drink driving......you know what I mean!!  I had my eye open for anyone who sailed through that exercise......I know I didn't. 

The hardest one of all though was when you had to stand on one leg then close your eyes and balance.  You should all try this, it is very difficult.  It's all to do with perception and mind over matter.  I of course held onto my chair as the "beached whale on sand" vision came over me again.

Now I would like to say this is all we did, but no, she put us through our paces again.  However I have the situation sussed out and take a hand towel with me to wipe my sweating brow, head, back, neck and all that good stuff.  Was disappointed though to discover there was no class on Thursday, as I am getting right into it.

Finally do you remember the aerobics fashion from the 80's?
Well one lady was having a flashback, and no she didn't look exactly like the woman above, but you could tell she was channeling that feeling...........which is fine when you are 20, but not when you are 70!!!  Oh and yes she was wearing the headband........

7 comments:

Jenn Jilks said...

Yes, I remember that. I ruined my back stretching too much.
Today, I'm getting wood to stack. That'll be fun.

mamasmercantile said...

I would be a beached whale too, although a fitness class would do me good.

barbara woods said...

I can stand on one leg but haven't tried it with my eyes closed. let you know how that works

Barb said...

I usually just stop by and read, but I had to say-I dont know what your class is, but here I take Silver sneakers. And yes, I ALWAYS have to hold onto the chair. She sometimes looks at me askance, but hey , I've fallen once already. That was enough, lol.

Maria said...

Oh the dreaded 'stand on one leg with eyes closed' move! I'm part of a longitudinal study through a local university which is looking at how people can deteriorate, physically, mentally, socially etc as they age...every 2 years my physical test has that stand on one leg business. I hate it! I can still do all the agility tests and speed tests scuttling around a marker and marching on the spot for 2 minutes ( knees up high!) but Im rubbish with the leg/eye closed test 😥😥. In the next 6 months I'm due to do those test tasks again...I should practise! Lol

Winifred said...

Love this post Gill. Yes balance does get to be a problem when you are older especially with a thyroid problem. I fall over when I venture into the horrendous cupboard under the stairs for something!
Do the police really do the walking in a straight line to test if you've been drinking? I've seen this on US telly programmes & thought it was a joke. You could just have bad balance or have some mobility problem. We get breathalised. No arguments with that, well some do & ask for a blood test I suppose.

Keep us up to date with your next venture into the "Get Physical!"

William Kendall said...

I've never tried standing on one leg with my eyes closed.

{{{SIGH}}}

Tuesday was a mixed bag type of day. Had the appliance repair guy come again to install another circuit board in the fridge.  When hubby got...