Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Quick baby gifts..........

I am seeing a friend of a friend's baby girl for the first time later in the month; and although I bought her some outfits when she was born, I wanted to make something little for her.  She will be four months old when I see her so I decided to make her a mini Crinkle Ribbon Mat and Cloth Baby Rings for her.

Below is the finished project.
The Crinkle Ribbon Mat was from this pattern.  

You need:
2 x 12 inch square's of fabric
1 x "Crinkle" material, now I used a piece of plastic silver tissue.........you find it where you get tissue paper in stores.  Or use the inside plastic wrapping from a cereal package.  As long as it's clean and makes a "crinkly" noise.
16 pieces ribbon, 5 inches each in length
thread and other basic sewing supplies

Pin all the pieces of ribbon to the material (as pictured) and then baste onto fabric using a long stitch on your sewing machine.  Remove pins. 
Place the other material you are using face down as pictured. 
 Then add crinkle material on top pin and sew all around the edges, using a 1/4 inch seam.  Leave a 3 inch gap so you can turn everything right sides out.
 Turn right sound out, clipping corners and then top stitch all the way round the edge, closing off the gap.  You are done!!!

This is washable, I probably wouldn't dry it in the dryer, and if using an iron use a low heat so you don't melt the crinkle material.

I used two fat quarters of material, and had plenty left over.  So decided to make a set of Baby Cloth Rings, using these instructions.  

***A WORD OF WARNING IF YOU DO NOT LIKE SEWING FIDDLY THINGS, DO NOT TOUCH THIS PROJECT...................RUN FAR, FAR AWAY FROM IT 😊***

I have been sewing Barbie clothes so am used to fiddly things, but these even tried my patience!!

A bit of a head's up if you are from Canada.  Fabricland sells small craft bags, mine for 50 cents each that have odds and ends of fabric, trim and beads, like this one.

All the ribbon on the crinkle mat was from these bags.  I also used a lot from the 10 bags I bought for all the Barbie Doll clothes I made.  If you need little bits of trim without having to buy a full roll this is the way to go.  

In other countries I am sure your fabric/craft stores have these sort of bags as well.

The fabric I used is Wildwood by Dear Stella, it is hard to find, but you can find it here.


6 comments:

Out My window said...

Great ideas. I remember Barbi clothes. Ugh!

Evelyn said...

great project Gill!

Jackie said...

Baby will love her gift.

God bless.

mamasmercantile said...

Such lovely gifts, made with love.

barbara woods said...

love your baby things

William Kendall said...

That looks good for a baby.

{{{SIGH}}}

Tuesday was a mixed bag type of day. Had the appliance repair guy come again to install another circuit board in the fridge.  When hubby got...